National Register of Historic Places
(The homes appearing in the list are private residences.
They are NOT open to the public.)
Baker Highway Maintenance Station (aka Baker Station Historic District) Highway 108, Strawberry added 2004
Cady House 72 N. Norlin Street, Sonora added 1982
One-story Greek Revival pre-fabricated home came around Cape Horn in the 1850s. Reconstructed by George Haley, a black residence of Sonora, it was sold to John Cady in 1866. The house was documented in the Library of Congress, through the Historic American Buildings Survey as part of the Works Progress Administration during the Great Depression. For more information, order CHISPA, Vol. 33, No. 2, October-December, 1993.
Chinaman Mortar Site Strawberry added 1975
City Hotel 145 S. Washington Street, Sonora added 1983
Alonzo Green, Sonora mayor in 1852 and 1853, and James Lane were associated in the building of the City Hotel in 1852. Constructed of slate, adobe, and red brick, it is one of the oldest buildings in Sonora. In the 1860s, it was purchased by Olivier Bemis. The street level part of the hotel had a large sitting room, bar and restaurant, with rooms upstairs. In the early 1900s, the hotel ran a horse pulled bus daily to meet the trains for the convenience of prospective guests.
Columbia Historic District Columbia added 1966
Emporium 18180 Main Street, Jamestown added 1978
Built in 1897, during the Second Gold Rush, the commercial brick building was erected by J. W. Witney. The architect and builder was C. H. Wilson. This rectangular brick two-story building, with original living quarters on the second floor and sales room and offices on the first, is a late-Victorian with Eastlake details. The building was a pioneer department store, occupied by Witney for six months, then acquired by Moses Arendt, who managed the business until 1928 when he sold it to Jim Porter and Peter Barendregt. It served as the county telephone exchange from 1906-1923. From 1935 until 1967, it housed the Barendregt grocery store. Basically unaltered from its original form, it remains one of the most imposing business buildings in Jamestown and Tuolumne County.
Gamble Building and Miners Bean Kettle (aka Wells Fargo Building and Raggio Store) 17544 State Hwy. 120, Big Oak Flat added 1991
The building was constructed in 1852 by Alexander Gamble principally of native slate and locally made bricks and features a wide, decorated brick breeze along the front faηade. Wells, Fargo & Co. was located in the eastern suite from the 1850s until 1893. Numerous businesses occupied the building: U. S. Post Office, general store, cobbler, law offices, butcher shop and justice court. On the west side of the building is a small jail with iron bars. The Miners Bean Kettle was constructed in 1870 and operated as a restaurant into the 1940s. It is constructed of adobe/wood with corrugated metal siding and roofing. For more information, order CHISPA, Vol. 46, No. 4, April-June, 2007.
Golden Crown Mine Mono Pass added 1977
Great Sierra Mine Historic Site (aka Dana Village) Lee Vining added 1978
Great Sierra Wagon Road ( aka Aspen Valley Road; Old Tioga Road) Yosemite Valley added 1978
Groveland Hotel 18767 Main Street, Groveland added 1994
One of the oldest buildings in Tuolumne County, it is the largest adobe structure in Groveland. George Reed is thought to be the architect and builder and was the owner of the hotel from 1852 until 1866. The building is a two-story, adobe brick structure with a parapet and flat roof. The hotel provided much needed housing for workers during the construction of the Hetch Hetchy Water and Power project approved in 1913 after twelve years of struggle with landowners and environmentalists.
Hodgdon Meadow Archeological District Wawona added 1979
Hotel Charlotte (aka Hotel Charlotte & Cafι) 18736 Main Street, Groveland added 1994
Charlotte De Ferrari, after whom the property was named, acquired this property in 1921 and began a restaurant and hotel business. No stranger to the restaurant business since she had already worked restaurants across Main Street. The two-story building has a gable roof and false front. Charlotte De Ferrari owned the business until the late 1940s.
McCauley Cabin (aka Caretakers Cabin) Lee Vining added 1977
New Melones Archeological District New Melones Visitors Center added 1991
Niagara Camp Stanislaus National Forest added 1975
Parsons Memorial Lodge Tuolumne Meadows added 1979
Quail Site Long Barn added 1975
Soda Springs Cabin (aka John Lembert Homestead) Lee Vining added 1979
Sugg House 37 Theall Street, Sonora added 1984
William Sugg, a harness maker, came to California as a slave and bought his freedom in 1854. After marrying Mary Elizabeth Snelling, daughter of a slave, William built the original portion of the home in 1857 from adobe-type bricks made on the property. The home was expanded as the family grew; all of the added areas were constructed of wood including the entire second floor. The home remained in the family for 122 years. For more information, order CHISPA, Vol . 24, No. 4, April-June, 1985.
Tioga Pass Entrance Station Lee Vining added 1978
Tuolumne County Courthouse 41 West Yaney Avenue added 1981
The first courthouse constructed in 1853 of wood was replaced by a three-story Romanesque-style pressed brick and concrete structure during the years 1898-1899. The need for a larger fire proof structure was met during the Second Gold Rush in the mid-1890s, which also provided the countys financial revenues to support construction. The architect was William Mooser & Son and constructed by Charles F. McCarthy. For more information, order CHISPA, Vol. 39, No. 1 and No. 2, July-September and October-December 1999.
Tuolumne County Jail (aka Tuolumne County Museum and History Center) 156 W. Bradford Avenue, Sonora added 1978
The Tuolumne County jail was built in 1857 which included family quarters for the sheriff or jailers family. In 1865, the jail was destroyed by a fire set by a prisoner and rebuilt in 1866. The jail walls were constructed using two thicknesses of red brick with crisscrossed iron strips between, and set on a foundation of well-laid schist rock. By 1960, the old jail was obsolete and a new jail was constructed a block to the north. At the request of the newly formed Tuolumne County Historical Society, the Tuolumne County Board of Supervisors designated the old jail as the Tuolumne County Museum. In 1978, the History Center was added to store that portion of the County History Collection not on display. For more information, order CHISPA, Vol. 25, No. 4, April-June, 1986 and Vol. 35, No. 3, January-March, 1996.
Tuolumne Meadows Lee Vining added 1978
Tuolumne Meadows Ranger Stations Lee Vining added 1978
Watts & Tannahill Company Store (aka Iron Door Saloon) 18761 Main Street, Groveland added 1995
Yosemite Valley District Yosemite National Park added 2006
Cooper Cabin (aka Cooper Cow Camp) Emigrant Wilderness, Stanislaus National Forest, Strawberry - added 2009
Sonora Youth Center 732 S. Barretta St., Sonora - added 2009
Stanislaus Branch, California Forest and Range Experiment Station Forest Rd. 4N13B, Strawberry - added 2009
Courthouse Square bounded by N. Washington St., W. Yaney Ave., N. Green St., and W. Jackson St., Sonora - added 2007